New Year's Resolutions for Marketing Your Membership
Tuesday, December 20, 2016
By Donna Jolly, Marketing Director, American Gem Society and AGS Laboratories
We know: New Year's resolutions are all too often broken. In 2017, though, we have ten that we would like for you to consider—and keep! It's a sure-fire way to get the most out of your membership.
- Proactively tell your customers why you stand out and rise above the competition. You are a member of the American Gem Society, and each year you recertify and sign a pledge to ethical business practices and invest in your ongoing education.
- Use AGS Laboratories Diamond Grading Reports. AGS Laboratories is your lab. It is the only nonprofit grading laboratory created with a mission of consumer protection, grading to the highest standards in the industry. Beyond offering diamond grading reports based on science, they offer diamond grading reports for mounted goods, a natural diamond verification service, sorting services, laser inscriptions, customizable reports and proprietary reports.
- Get your stickies up. AGS has decals for your doors and windows. Should a consumer ask you "What's an AGS?" you can proudly tell them, "American Gem Society is a nonprofit jewelry association dedicated to protecting consumers such as yourself, by ensuring that jewelers, like me, are up-to-date on our education and ethical business practices." Contact Membership@ags.org to order your complimentary stickies.
- Take Advantage of the AGS Member Portal. The Portal offers numerous tools you can use, such as press release templates to promote your recertification, social media content you can share on your social media, co-branded ads featuring the AGS logo that you can customize with your logo, and so much more! To get a tour of the Portal, click here to see a quick tutorial video.
- Work with an AGS Supplier and/or Sustaining member. AGS Retailers, Suppliers, and Sustaining members all have one thing in common: they are committed to the AGS mission of consumer protection. Work with professionals who share your dedication to the AGS ideals. Connect with Supplier and Sustaining members through the newly launched AGS Supplier and Sustaining Membership Directory or the Find a Supplier search on AmericanGemSociety.org.
- Update your Find a Jeweler profile. It helps consumers know more about your store. In our fiscal year 2016, we had over 865,000 consumers search for AGS jewelers. Make sure they find you! Simply log in to the Member Portal, hover over "Manage Account," click on "Jewelry Store Profile," fill in your info, and click "Submit."
- Join a Guild or a attend a Young Titleholder event. It's like Conclave year-round. Visit their pages in the Member Portal. Once you log in, click on Guilds or Young Titleholders for more info!
- Go to Conclave and learn something new! With over 90 educational classes, Conclave is the "must-attend" educational event of the year. It’s also a great place to connect with old friends and make new ones—who can share their best business practices.
- Join the AGS members-only Facebook group. Connect with other members. Suppliers and Sustaining members: tell your fellow AGS members about the important services you offer. If you are not yet a member of the Facebook group, join here. If you are a member of the AGS Facebook group, click here to post about your business!
- Let us market you: send us your photos! Our social media audience reaches over 600,000+ consumers. We'll be happy to show our audience your beautiful jewelry or share an upcoming event. Ask for an AGS Instagram Takeover, and be a star on our Instagram page for a day. Or request to be featured in one of our various spotlights in Spectra, Spectra Update, or on the website.
And here are two extra tips for AGS Suppliers: 1) Target AGS retailers through the advertising opportunities in the 2016/2017 Media Kit or request an updated membership mailing list today, and 2) Ask to be featured in our Supplier Style Pix in the members-only Facebook group. Email Socialmedia@ags.org to learn more.
Happy New Year from all of us at American Gem Society. We thank you for your continued support throughout 2016, and we look forward to even more excitement and success in 2017!