First published in 1981, this is still the definitive guide for professionally appraising jewelry.
The Fourth Edition has been completely updated. It contains new information and addresses new developments in the jewelry industry and appraisal profession.
It's a must-own guide for those in the jewelry industry and essential for appraisers.
Some of the topics covered include:
- The different types of appraisals and the many fields they apply to.
- How to protect yourself when accepting jewelry to be appraised.
- How to evaluate synthetic and treated gemstones.
- What to charge for appraisals.
- What is fair market value?
- The ins-and-outs of mediation and arbitration.
- How to be an expert witness.
- Provenance and chain of custody.
- This edition also contains sample appraisals, contracts and forms.
It is a common mistake to think that gemological knowledge is all that is required in appraising jewelry.
This book introduces the reader to the methodologies of appraising and setting up a professional
IMPORTANT! Please send all questions about the book, including pricing and ordering information to Cos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By clicking the button below, you will be taken to a third party site run by his team.
Price $99.99 plus shipping
"Cos Altobelli's 'Practical Guide to Jewelry Appraising, Fourth Edition,' may be one of the most important books you will ever read as a jewelry appraiser." – Cathy Calhoun, CGA and past president, American Gem Society
"If you're a professional jewelry appraiser, this book should be a prominent fixture on your desk. If you're an attorney in litigation, or an insurance broker who works with a professional appraiser...this book should be a part of your research library." – David Craig Rotenberg, ECGA
"Any professional jewelry appraiser needs to establish a research library and this is a must-have book. Times have changed and so has our profession. We need to keep abreast of all changes. Thank you, Cos!" – Cynthia L. Konney, ICGA