3 Tips for Keeping Your Jewelry Business Secure Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic
Thursday, April 16, 2020
By Jewelers Mutual Group
With most states requiring the closing of all non-essential business, burglaries pose a very real threat to your business and can result in significant losses. Make sure your jewelry store security is strong not only during these unprecedented times, but for the rest of the year.
Neglecting security measures early on could leave your business exposed. Plus, not getting in the habit of security best practices will only get more difficult to change as the year progresses.
Here are three important steps to take for a quick check on your overall security.
- Move your inventory to a vault or secured storage facility. Do not leave items in plain sight or in showcases. If you cannot get your stock to a bank vault or secured storage facility, here are some security recommendations for your inventory:
Verify every alarm signal with your alarm monitoring facility. While safes and vaults are critical to limiting the amount of merchandise stolen in burglaries, criminals have proven time and again that, if given enough time, they can compromise the most durable of security equipment. That's why your alarm—and your relationship with your alarm system provider—is so valuable.
- Secure as much property as possible inside your safe.
- Property that cannot be secured in a safe or vault on the premises should be secured in a locked room inside the premises.
Contact your alarm system provider to ensure that your alarm is providing the protection your business needs.
Don't post photos that reveal the layout of your store or merchandise displays anywhere online. This includes resources that your customers may use to find you such as Google My Business or Yelp. It can be tempting to give virtual tours of your store as a way to connect with customers through social media while your business is closed, however, there is plenty of other content to share that would engage your customers without putting you or your store in jeopardy.
Safety and security education for jewelry businesses
JM University®—an exclusive benefit for Jewelers Mutual policyholders—includes interactive modules that focus on how to:
- Safeguard your property—and yourself—while away from your business.
- Identify potential weaknesses in your security.