For any firm principally engaged in jewelry and diamond appraising that has successfully met the requirements to be an Independent Certified Gemologist Appraiser American Gem Society™ titleholder.
Qualifications for admission as an ICGA firm of the American Gem Society follow. This is in addition to the general requirements for becoming an American Gem Society member.
1. The firm must be in the jewelry and diamond appraisal business with over 50% of the gross revenue derived from personal property appraising (not real property)
2. The firm must have been in business as an independent entity for at least two full years.
3. The firm must have an approved, American Gem Society Accredited Gem Laboratory®.
4. The firm may not sell diamonds, gems, or jewelry to the public. Brokering is permitted to the jewelry trade.
5. The firm must adhere to the American Gem Society appraisal standards
6. The firm must have a separate, clearly defined and dedicated space to conduct the appraisal business of the firm.
7. The firm must be approved by the International Admissions Board after consultation with the Appraisal Committee.
The applicant for the ICGA/CGA must:
1. Successfully complete all requirements to become a Graduate Gemologist prior to submission for application to the American Gem Society
2. Successfully complete the AGS Way Course and become a Registered Jeweler after election of the firm to the American Gem Society.
3. Complete the Jewelers Education Foundation course, Advanced Personal Property Appraisal, or equivalent.
4. Complete an annual re-certification exam.
5. Complete continuing education requirements demonstrating that the applicant has:
- attended appraisal or gemological seminars and conferences
- participated in appraisal committees
- published books or papers
- attended college courses on appraising
- wrote and presented seminars on appraisal or gemology
- provided community service club lectures on gemology
- attended trade shows for jewelry or gemstones
- submitted three completed appraisals for 1) insurance, 2) estate tax 3) specialty situation for peer review.
ICGA firms carry the Certified Gemologist Appraiser (CGA) credentials to another level. They are independent jewelry appraisal firms that specialize in and are considered to be the authority on the appraisal of gems, diamonds, and jewelry.
ICGA appraisers are qualified to provide insurance appraisals as well as more challenging appraisal assignments such as probate, equitable distribution, resale, and divorce.
This elite group of Independent Certified Gemologist Appraisal (ICGA) firms are dedicated to providing their clients with reliable and professional independent appraisal services.
Many ICGA firm applicants are also at the top of their profession in other appraisal organizations such as the American Society of Appraisers, the International Society of Appraisers, and the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers.